J.D., M.B.A., LL.M.
- Formerly head of the Trusts & Estates Practice of the Phoenix Office of Greenberg Traurig, LLP, an international law firm with over 800 attorneys
Areas of Experience
- Over 22 years of tax law experience
- Estate & individual income tax planning
- Preparation of wills, trusts and related documents
- Planning for closely held businesses
- Probate and administration of trusts and estates
- Charitable tax planning
- Non-qualified deferred compensation planning
- Partnership and corporate taxation
Significant Representations Over Career
- Provided estate and tax planning advice and trust drafting in connection with an estate in excess of $200 million involving the interplay of U.S. and European transfer tax laws.
- Provided estate, tax and asset protection planning for several clients in anticipation of their companies going public, utilizing complex wealth preservation and transfer tax techniques, including combinations of grantor retained annuity trusts, sales to defective grantor trusts and charitable lead and remainder trusts.
- Provided post mortem tax advice on behalf of a surviving spouse with estate in excess of $100 million using sophisticated income, estate and generation-skipping tax reduction structure.
- Provided structure for owners of large closely held business to defer gain on sale of low basis stock, obtain a current income tax deduction and take advantage of tax-free compounding of interest until retirement, coupled with pre-sale corporate reorganization transaction.
- Preparation of private foundation for major league baseball players.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Member, American Bar Association
- Tax Section
- Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section
- Member, State Bar of Arizona
- Tax Section
- Probate and Trust Law Section
- Mental Health and Elder Law Section
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Member, Phoenix Art Museum, Planned Giving Committee
- Member, Phoenix Children’s Hospital Planned Giving Committee
- Member, Beta Gamma Sigma
- Member, Valley Estate Planners
Recent (and Upcoming) Presentations Given by Mr. Bloom to Attorneys
- "Trust Drafting in Arizona," Sterling Education Service, LLC, Phoenix, AZ, May 22, 2003
- "A Practical Guide to Estate Administration in Arizona," National Business Institute, Phoenix, AZ, July 22, 2003
- "How to Draft Wills and Trusts in Arizona," National Business Institute, Phoenix, AZ, August 20, 2003
- "Basic Estate Administration,” Sterling Education Systems, Phoenix, AZ, September 25, 2003
- "Asset Protection Planning: A Discussion of Key Issues and Techniques,” Harris Trust, Scottsdale, AZ, December 11, 2003
- "Succession Planning for Closely Held Business Owners Using ESOPs,” Valley Estate Planners, Phoenix, AZ, April 15, 2004
- "Estate Planning: Mastering the Basics: Drafting Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts," Sterling Education Service, LLC, Phoenix, AZ, September 16, 2004
- "Understanding Family Limited Partnerships in Arizona for Estate Planning and Asset Protection Purposes," National Business Institute, Phoenix, AZ December 3, 2004
- "Understanding Family Limited Partnerships in Arizona for Estate Planning and Asset Protection Purposes," National Business Institute, Phoenix, AZ December 7, 2005
- "Drafting Effective Wills and Trusts," National Business Institute, Phoenix, AZ, June 23, 2006
- "Drafting Effective Wills and Trusts," National Business Institute, Phoenix, AZ, June 11, 2008
- LL.M., Taxation, New York University, 1988
- M.B.A., Case Western Reserve University, 1984
- J.D., Case Western Reserve University, 1984
- American Jurisprudence Award in Constitutional Law; Associate Editor, Case Western Reserve Law Review, 1982-1984
- B.A., with highest distinction, Bard College, 1980; President’s Award Recipient
Admitted to Practice
- Flying (Private Pilot - Single Engine Rating), Scuba Diving, Hapkido, Jazz & Rock Keyboards